Sunday, October 18, 2015

Plan B: Selling Our Future


“As the world struggles to feed all its people, farmers are facing several trying trends.” (Brown 4)

Publix Store Brand
http://www.gspretail.com/newsletter/nl16_retailer-focus-publix.html

As I read this statement it didn’t truly hit me at first. I was completely unaware of all the issues that food production in America is facing. As I continued to read, Brown listed all the factors going against food production from the supply and demand side of the equation. I was confused by the significance of some of these trends. In my own little world, I never thought of lack of food as an issue. Every time I go to Publix they always have what I need. I know that is a small scale to put it on, but that is the way most college students think. They are unaware of what’s happening outside of their own environment. As we’ve discussed environmental issues in class, I’ve never thought to apply its effects to the food I eat.



“No country is immune to the effects of tightening world food supplies, not even the United States, the world’s breadbasket.” (Brown 13)


Image result for entitlement
http://hibe-online.com/8-signs-you-suffer-from-a-sense-of-entitlement/

I think this statement is very accurate! Sometimes I feel like people from the United States sometimes have a sense of entitlement. Just because we live in America we should be able to surpass all issues dealing with constricted food sources, yet that is the furthest from the truth. The book gave a perfect example with the relationship we have with China. We are bound in certain instances where claiming we are the greatest and most powerful nation in the world won’t bail us out of a tough situation.



“Success depends on moving at wartime speed, restructuring the world energy economy at a pace reminiscent of the restructuring of the U.S. industrial economy in 1942 following the attack on Pearl Harbor.” (Brown 25)


http://allthingsd.com/20120330/yahoo-layoffs-set-to-begin-next-week-followed-by-restructuring-the-week-after/

I do not think “moving at wartime speed” is something that can be accomplished in today’s time without a dramatic change in the hearts of millions of Americans. People are more concerned with instant gratification, and do not lean towards change if they won’t see results in a timely manner. The Plan B project is a long term project that you must gain support behind for it to be successful. I don’t think you can compare the reference that Brown made to the attacks on Pearl Harbor to the environmental situations that we are facing today. Pearl Harbor was a sudden, vicious attack on the American people, so they desired to get even and receive self-gratification. They were willing to make changes in their lives because it was for a cause they felt fervent about. I don’t think there’s enough passionately driven people to make such a change to put Plan B into action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment